Friday, June 24, 2011

showers

My best friend (aside from my sister) is pregnant, due in September.  Because we are so close, I volunteered to throw her a baby shower.  Luckily, she isn't very girly, so it will be a co-ed shower, so no typical "smell the diaper" game, just a cookout where people brings gifts as well as their own booze.  I was doing pretty good, planning the date and time and invitations.  But yesterday, as I looked at the paper invitations for the older crowd who don't do email, it hit me that I will never have someone planning this kind of thing for me.  So I had a good cry last night, got out all of that, and then when my cats came to cuddle with me, and I got to sit in my bed and read into the wee hours of the morning, I was hit again by how good my life is.  It may be different from what I thought it was going to be, but I still love it.  Even if I won't ever get to register for (and have a party to receive) gifts again.  :)

2 comments:

  1. It's funny ... I was looking at some friends' pictures on Facebook this past week and I was struck by how I was completely "Okay" with one friend's pregnancy ... and completely NOT "okay" with another friend. What gives?

    Anyway, the point is ... I can relate. And I can also relate to how sometimes it takes difficult moments like this to realize how good our lives are ... even if we can't have kids.

    xoxo
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am just impressed you were able to plan the baby shower at all. Your strength amazes me!

    ReplyDelete