Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Surgery Details

Sunday I had to drink 10 ounces of magnesium citrate. It was lemon flavored. I smelled it before I drank any of it, and told D it smelled like cleaning fluid; he said "because it is." hahahha! It didn't taste that bad, but its effects were not pleasant. Not as bad as I was expecting, but still not pleasant. After I took that, I could only eat clear foods, so it was chicken broth and jello for dinner. And then no fluids after midnight. So I was starving and thirsty the morning of my surgery.

We arrived at the clinic about 12:30; after about 20 minutes, I was taken back to pre-op. Put on my fancy hospital gown, and my cap over my hair, then the nurse took my vitals, and put an IV in my hand. D got to come back and sit with me after that. A couple hours later (the surgery Dr. G was performing before mine took longer than anticipated), D kissed me goodbye/good luck and I was taken to the operating room. There is so much equipment in there! I was scooted onto the gynecological bed, and the anesthesiologist told me he was going to get started. And that's the last thing I remember before waking up in recovery.

D met with Dr. G while I was waking up and she told him the polyp/fibroid came out easily, she saw no endometriosis, and she made an incision in my belly button (so now it feels like I was stabbed in it...D said "because you were." hahaha!) to look at my ovaries. The right one seemed fine, but she wanted a closer look at the left one, so she made another incision on the left side. She popped a couple of the cysts to make sure they weren't anything bad, and determined that they are most likely residual effects from the Clomid.

So I had lay around in recovery for a while, and D got to sit with me again. Then the nurse helped me get dressed. First she asked if I wanted D to leave the room while I got dressed, and I said he could stay, I mean, he's seen it all before. She said she asked another woman the same question, and she didn't want her husband back there at all because she had no make-up on. I bet they have a wonderfully solid relationship. ;) So I got dressed, and they made me wear a maternity menstrual pad in case of any bleeding. Then I got to sit in a chair and have some ice chips (SOOOOOO good after being so thirsty and the anesthesia and breathing mask made my throat very dry and hoarse) and some apple sauce. Then I had to go to the bathroom, which was a little burny since they had to use a catheter to drain my bladder, in order to avoid puncturing it. Once I had accomplished that, the nurse removed my IV, and we were sent on our way.

After we were home for a while, I went to the bathroom, and my belly button is completely bruised inside it, and there is about a 4 inch bruise over the left incision. It looks really gross and black and purple. I can move around OK, just a little slower than normal. And a little drowsy from the pain meds, and my throat still hurts. So I'm drinking tea and sucking on throat lozenges.

But that's about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment