Wednesday, December 22, 2010

future plans

My husband is a police officer, and he has gone to the police memorial week celebration in Washington DC twice. It's always on the same dates, which are horrible for me since they land in the week before last of the school year. In 2011, however, they land on a weekend. So I am going to take off the Friday, and we are going to fly to DC Thursday afternoon/early evening. D's flight and hotel will be covered since he is on his department's honor guard; the union is going to pay to send all the honor guard members. Which means we only have to pay for my flight and portion of the hotel! I am totally psyched for this trip. I've never been there before, so D and I have been talking about where we want to go and what we want to see.

My dad went there not too long ago, and he was telling me that he was very disappointed in the Arlington National Cemetery. He is a Viet Nam vet, and within the last few years has gotten in touch with his troop, and now they have get-togethers very frequently. One of these was to see the Viet Nam Wall memorial, and naturally, they went to see Arlington. He said it wasn't very well-kept, and it made him sad at the state it was in. I know I will go see it too, and I'm hoping it was just an off-time for it, and that it actually is as impressive as it always looks in photos.

Anyway, DC is our next big-ish trip, and again, I can see the advantage to not having children so that we can go. Otherwise, we'd have to figure out who was going to watch the kid(s), or we'd have to take them with us, and then figure out who got to go out and party at night while the other stayed at the hotel with the kid(s).

I'm really looking forward to being a part of the police officer family. When D was telling me about his most recent trip, I was amazed at the level of family and comraderie (everyone is referred to as a brother or sister) that they all have because of their shared profession. There aren't many occupations that have that, at that level. And now that I am a police officer's spouse, I am in the family too. So I can't wait to be there, and see how it feels to be a part of something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment